Bauhaus Dessau model
Estimated date of return:
Bauhaus, which etymologically means “building houses,” was founded in 1919 in Weimar (Germany) by Walter Gropius, after which it moved to Dessau in 1925 and ended in 1933 in Berlin. Undoubtedlly the spirit and the teachings of this institution have travelled around the world.
With the move from Weimar to Dessau, Bauhaus had the opportunity to create a building that offered the best working conditions to develop their own design, which was carried out by Walter Gropius himself and opened on December 4, 1926, quickly becoming an icon of early modern art.
.... "Architects, sculptors, painters, we must all return to manual labour! [...] Establish, therefore, a new guild of craftsmen, free of the arrogance that divides a class from another and seeks to erect a barrier between craftsmen and artists! Aspire, together we conceive and build the new building of the future that will accommodate all-in architecture, sculpture and painting, into a single entity that rise up to heaven from the hands of one million artisans, crystalline symbol of a new faith that borders ....” - Walter Gropius.
With the building of the Bauhaus, Gropius implemented its ambition of designing processes of life, and to unite art, technique, and aesthetics in search functionality. From the merger of the Academy of Fine Arts and the School of Arts and Crafts, Bauhaus tried to overcome the divorce between art and industrial production on one side andbetween art and craft on the other. Its goal was to develop the use of new materials and technology without neglecting the legacy of craftsmanship.
Each sculpture is individually handmade in Sussex, England, at the Chisel & Mouse workshop. They are made of a strong plaster that provides reassuring weight and a smooth, cool feel. Window sills and frames are made of engraved brass. These decorative objects make ideal gifts and breathe new life into any ordinary desk, shelf, or wall.
Architect: Walter Gropius
Year: 1925 Style: Modernist / Bauhaus
Location: Dessau, Germany
Materials: Plaster, metal
Dimensions: Height 27 cm, Width 18 cm, Depth 7.5 cm, 2 kg